Where to begin?

Hello!

It has been a while, and for that I apologize. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes.

That being said, I'm all amped up to start writing Shadowland Book 1. Super excited about scenes I have planned. Stoked about the horrible things I'm going to put my main character, Marietta, through. And stalled out when I sit in front of my computer.

Why is that? I know where this story is going. I know a lot of what needs to happen to get through the majority of it, but for some reason, when I sit down to write, nothing.

Then I remembered some sage advice I heard or read somewhere... it goes something like "don't write your beginning until you have your ending."

What the heck? How can I even begin without a beginning? Am I supposed to write the ending first and work backwards, Memento style?

No. What it means is, your ending should be foreshadowed in your beginning. Or something like that. So, for example, in what I believe to be my beginning, my two characters are at the top of a staircase. The same staircase is the setting for the last scene of my book. Get it?

I'm a visual learner and a visual explainer so without the use of a drawing app in Blogger I'm finding it difficult to put what I mean into words, which is odd since I am a writer. Oh the inconsistencies of my entire being...

Anyway, the other thing I gleaned from writing your ending before yoru beginning is that I should probably start writing my book on Chapter Two and once I reach the end I can figure out what needs to be included in the beginning.

I wish it was November. I have no trouble at all writing every day for an hour in November. NaNoWriMo. I wish I could channel the NaNoWriMo spirit RIGHT NOW in May.

The good news is, June 1st is Camp NaNoWriMo, so if I haven't gotten my butt in gear by then, I will definitely partaketh of the summer noveling fun.

My hope, however, is that I will have a good 25% or more of this book written by that time.

Until then, keep swimming (and writing!)

Claire L. Fishback
_________________________________________________________________________

What is your take on this whole don't write your beginning until you have your ending madness?
_________________________________________________________________________

Comments

Popular Posts