OT: Wen "shampoo free" hair care system

HEYLO!

Okay, so I wanted to post about Wen because I just started using it and I'm excited about it so far. So excited, I can't wait to wash my hair again.

In case you don't know, Wen is a shampoo free hair care system. It cleanses, moisturizes, and makes your hair better than ever. That's the claim anyway, in my words.

I decided to try it out because my day job work associate, the B-E-A-YOOOU-teeful Carmen (we'll call her BC for short) told me that's what she uses on her hair. BC has hair to DIE for. Seriously. It. Is. Gorgeous. And always beautiful.

So I ordered the sample pack which comes with like 5 of the different flavors of the product: Cucumber Mint, Sweet Almond Mint, Lavender, Fig, and Tea Tree.

Without further ado, here is day one of my experience.

My hair type: Fine, oily prone roots (need to wash every day), sometimes dry length (from heat styling even though I don't do a whole lot of heat styling).

The Cucumber Aloe is for oily prone hair so I decided well ahead of time that I would put that on my scalp and one of the other ones on the rest of my hair. I chose the Sweet ALmond Mint for the length because it smells good and it is the "original" flavor.

The directions for using Wen are ridiculous. It tells you if your hair is really long you need to use 40 pumps. HOLY CRAP. That is seriously a double handful of product.

I followed BC's instructions. She has hair long enough to cover her boobs (mermaid hair as I call it) and she only uses four pumps for the top and four pumps for each side of the length. So I did that.

4 pumps of cucumber aloe on top, scrubbed for 1 minute. 4 pumps of sweet almond mint on one side, 4 on the other. Combed it through with the wide tooth comb that came with the stuff and left it on for the duration of my shower, probably about 5 minutes or so. I tried to shower slow so it would stay on longer. The claim is, the longer you leave it on the better it works.

When I was done in the shower, I added a little water to my hair and scrubbed scrubbed scrubbed and ran my fingers through my hair, then put my head under the shower spray and rinsed it all out really good to the point where my hair was literally squeaky clean.

The instructions also recommend using 2 pumps or so as a leave in treatment. I skipped this because BC doesn't do it, but tomorrow I may try it at least on the length. I may also try the Lavender on my length. BC said it took her a little while to find the right routine and the flavors she liked best for her hair.

After day one, my hair was soft, yes, and it was LESS frizzy than usual, but the length felt a little dry, which is why I may try the lavender tomorrow along with doing a bit of leave in. Also, because my length was a little dry, I purchased the styling creme on Amazon.com today and paid for the shipping so I would get it tomorrow (trip to St. Louis starts on Saturday so I wanted it before leaving so I can try this all out while I'm on vacation).

I'm excited about it for sure. It feels great on my hair in the shower. Like using GOBS of thick conditioner (I love conditioner), and it smells really good. The scents are strong in the bottle but on the hair they are very subtle and glorious. It doesn't produce a lot of lather, which I knew it didn't, but it does produce SOME lather. A lot of things I read said it didn't produce any, but I saw a little on my hands.
BC challenged me to try it for two weeks. She says to give it time. I'm guessing my hair will get greasy or something will happen that will turn me off from it... we'll see. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the stuff from people's hair getting weighed down (they probably didn't rinse it out enough) to people's hair falling out! (YIKES!) But I want to give it a fair shot. In fact, I may extend the trial run to three weeks.

I was using L'Oreal's sulfate free hair care line when I was in Alaska this past week and loved the way it made my hair feel. I left that stuff in Juneau with my sister (she liked it, too) and used Redken on my hair yesterday. My hair felt awful. Brittle, dry, frizzy. It was a disaster. I put it up in a bun because it looked so bad.

So I'm really excited to see how my hair will change over the next few days and by the end of my two week trial run.

So, that's day one. I'm probably not going to report every day, but I'll try to do it a couple times a week.

Claire L. Fishback

Comments

Popular Posts