Walking the Dog is a Good Thing

I'm writing today about goals again. Not writing goals. Exercise goals.

You see, I used to be an avid runner. Last year, Fishubby introduced me to mountain biking. We also do a lot of day long hikes in the summer, and have stuck to a solid two-nights a week gym regimen to lift weights.

I'm breaking free.

I vowed to start getting up early to walk our dog in the morning so I can do whatever I want in the evening as far as exercise goes.

Which is... training for a half marathon.

I know, I know. A half? Why not a full? Because, people, you gotta take baby steps.

The half I was looking at is at the end of September, but I'm not sure I have enough time to train properly and without injury, so I'm going to train as if I am going to run a half marathon. Fishubby said, even if I don't have an event to race in, do the training and then run the 13.1 miles.

I can do that. In fact, I prefer to do that. There's somethign about races and large masses of people that makes me uber anxious. I'm kind of a loner when I run. I like to be alone (usually with my dog, but she's an anchor on long distances) with my thoughts.

So, in this case, getting up early to walk the dog is good. I've done it for two days now and I feel great! I think I was sleeping too much before.

Tonight, barring any unforseen circumstances (like hearing back from a friend who I haven't seen in about 15 years who happens to be in town) I will start running again.

I even bought a new pair of shoes yesterday.

Keep writing!

Claire L. Fishback

Comments

Popular Posts