Music and the Creative Mind

Ooh, that could be the name of a band... hmmmm... nah, I think I'll stick with Death Guitar (metal) or Claire and the Egg Beaters (folkie, new age)

I have been listening to the same two CDs in my car for the past month and a half (or so). Lateralus by Tool, and Fallen by Evanescence. Tool has taken the front runner in "music that makes me think about my story."

Especially tracks 6 and 7. Parabol and Parabola.

But when I actually sit down to write, my last two sessions I've listened to Unearthed by E.S. Posthumous. I like the beats and the lack of vocals in this album. It gives me the ability to zone out and just write. Which, if you will recall, is all I've been wanting to do since I started this WIP. JUST WRITE.

That is my advice to you today.

Just write.

I also want to know what music inspires you with your current WIP. Do you listen to different music to think vs. during your writing sessions? Do you need music to write? Can you listen to songs with vocals?

I think it is amazing how music can transport us to different places and engage our imaginations to show us where to go with our stories.

At least, that's what it does for me.

Swimming along,
Claire L. Fishback

Comments

Popular Posts