Quotes

I found a couple of quotes today on AeroGramme Writer's Studio that really sort of hit home.

"Let the writer take up surgery or bricklaying if he is interested in technique. There is no mechanical way to get the writing done, no shortcut. The young writer would be a fool to follow a theory. Teach yourself by your own mistakes; people learn only by error." - William Faulkner

"Write. Start writing today. Start writing right now. Don't write it right, just write it - and then make it right later. Give yourself the mental freedom to enjoy the process, because the process of writing is a long one. Be wary of "writing rules" and advice. Do it your way." - Tara Moss

“Advice to young writers? Always the same advice: learn to trust our own judgment, learn inner independence, learn to trust that time will sort the good from the bad – including your own bad.” ― Doris Lessing

These both hit home for me because, as you've seen in some of my posts last year, I'm always looking for a method. The "right way" to do something. And in learning various methods, I'm so afraid I won't do it right that I stall out and can't get going again. This also has to do with self validation. It's right if I say it's right. I don't need a method or a theory or someone else's way of doing things. I have my own way.

What is this way? You may ask...

I've always been a Pantser, one who write from the seat of her pants. But in the past, pantsing hasn't served me well. I end up with something unorganized and inconsistent. But I have found that if I pants a little, then plot, then pants a little more, then plot, I can get more done and continue moving forward. I think I've heard of this hybrid of plotting and panting as a Plotster. Which is fun.

Anyway, I'm working on my current WIP the way that feels right to me. It could be different for my next book, but right now, writing and then planning is working out.

Right now I'm in a Figure It Out Phase (FIO). Once I FIO, I will write some more. As I write, things come to me and I must explore them so I can know all the ins and outs of this one thing. That way, I can write it without having to go back and [II ADD MORE HERE II] (II is my marking to tell myself things within my WIP. I usually highlight them, too).

I'm still excited about this WIP and I'm more excited about it the more research I do, and the more FIO I do. Fishubby has agreed to help me brainstorm some things tonight if I don't FIO at lunch today.

That's it for today. I hope you find the quotes as helpful as I did!

Peace and Keep Writing,
Claire L. Fishback

___________________________________________________

What are your writing plans today?

____________________________________________________

Comments

Haddock said…
Like that advice by Doris Lessing.

Popular Posts