Never stop chasing your dream

Hi Friends!

I wish I was writing today to share great news, but, unfortunately, that is not the case.

I'm writing to let you know that the publisher who picked me up is CLOSING THEIR DOORS.

Now, before you get angry or sad for me, know this: I will NEVER give up. I will NEVER surrender! This is my dream, my passion.

The reason behind this closure is a certain person (co-founder) not getting his shit together. That's the gist of it. Priorities change, I get that. People like to do things their way or the highway, totally understandable. I just wish I'd known what was going on behind the scenes before I signed on, because, apparently, this stuff had been going on for a few months.

ANYWAY, moving on.

I DO also have good news. I participated in a Twitter pitch party yesterday and an agent liked one of my pitch Tweets.

WTF does that mean? You're probably asking. The short version is: You tweet a 140 character line about your book with the appropriate hashtag to alert the agents participating that YOU are participating. If an agent likes one of your tweets, it is an invitation to submit your novel according to their submission guidelines (in this case, a query letter and the first 50 pages).

So, one door closes, another opens. And this time around, it feels like of fate-like. Here's why:

Tuesday night I had a Critique Group meeting. I really didn't want to go, because my writer friend's haven't seen me since I got my publishing deal, and I didn't want them to ask me about it, because then I'd have to tell them about my publisher closing, and I wasn't ready for that. I was still processing the news and trying to figure out how to feel about it. (Indifference, but now I'm a little angry, but, in the vein of Monty Python, I'm getting better!)

So, that was Fate Thing #1.

Fate Thing #2: Ms. Delone told us about the Twitter pitch party. If I hadn't gone to CG that night, I wouldn't have known about it.

Fate Thing #3: Since I was still bummed about the publisher thing, I wasn't going to participate in the pitch party. Ms. Delone, once again, stepped in and twisted my arm into participating. I only did two of the three tweets and the agent liked my second one.

Doesn't that feel kind of fateful? I wasn't going to go to the group, if I hadn't I wouldn't have known about the pitch party, and I really want an agent instead of jumping straight to the publisher.

So, there's that. Next step is to rewrite the opening of The Blood of Seven (again) based on the agency's blog posts about novel openings, and what I learned from the feedback I got from one of the judges of a contest I entered, and what I learned in an "All about cops" class I took a couple years ago.

Wish me luck! I should have a rough draft of it after lunch today. Fingers crossed I'm super productive and get it done!

Peace and KEEP WRITING!!!

Claire L. Fishback

Comments

Popular Posts