My First(ish) Book Signing

If this was my "Author Baby Book" that would be the title of this page complete with pictures from the book signing and some fun paper and other embellishments (I scrapbooked for about a month one time... way too time consuming for me).

The actual first book signing was at Colorado Gold this year. But the book signing at Union Station was the first really public book signing.

And it was amazing.

Here's the set up... a dark alley, a bum sleeping by a dumpster, a man in a trench coat enters, "Are you the man who shot my dog?" ... wait wait wait... wrong setting.

Union Station, Denver, Colorado. 5:30pm.
We met up with a bunch of friends for happy hour/dinner. My dad and his girlfriend and a couple of their friends came, too. I hardly ate a thing. I was really nervous. I checked my watch constantly. When 5:45 rolled around, Fishubby walked me over to the Station. I didn't really know where to go, so we wandered around until I found Mario Acevedo, the editor of the anthology. We chatted a bit about how things were going to go down. I took some pictures with the signs for the book, and basically paced like a caged lion. Then, Fishubby says, "There's your mom!"

Back up a second... Logistically, my mom wasn't going to be able to attend. I was really sad about it, because I wrote the story for her. So, I thought, who could bring her downtown? (you see, my mom doesn't drive at night). I called her neighbor/friend, Ellen. Voicemail. I called Ellen's husband Curt. Voicemail. He called me back first. I begged him to bring my mom down, and he said, "Oh, I think Ellen was already planning on doing that." So, my mom was going to surprise me!

Even though I knew she was coming, I still lunged into her arms and broke into tears against her shoulder. "I'm so glad you're here!"

From there, I was calm and collected. My Mommie always had that affect on me.

The underlying "thing" here is, I was sort of struggling with my relationship with my mom. That's a whole other can of worms that won't be opened here or ever in a public space like this. Let's just say, her being there changed everything.

7:05 or so rolled around. I was the first reader. I publicly dedicated my story to my mom and read the first few pages.

When I finished, a guy from the news wanted an interview, so I obliged. The news story can be found here. (You can see my Dress of Power that I wore, which gives me the Confidence super power).

The whole experience was so surreal. I can't wait to do it all again. Next time it'll be for my novel.

Peace and Keep Writing,

Claire L. Fishback

Comments

Popular Posts